Sunday, August 14, 2011

Inspired by Dragonflies

Dragonfly Brooch by Bay Moon Design
Dreamcatcher Designs a fellow artisan wrote an interesting blog about going from big to small.  She made an interesting statement that she  " always thought that when trying to learn something new you should work from big to small".  She used an example of  first prereaders in Kindergarten.  The one or two words on each page were quite large compared to the first grade readers and then chapter books and novels. The print got smaller and smaller as readers progressed in ability.

Dreamcatcher  Designs found success with big to large in the reading formats, so it seemed natural  for her to apply this idea to learning to make jewelry. I totally agree with that concept.   I was working on my first dragonfly made from sterling silver this week for Humblebeads Inspired by Nature Contest.   I decided that in order to make my first dragonfly from sterling silver it would have to be large.  I won't be able to make a small charm to dangle for a necklace.   I decided to make a brooch.  I then had to give a lot of thought to what exactly what features made a dragonfly.  I agree BIG is Easier for me for the first time also.

No comments:

Post a Comment