Saturday, June 22, 2013

Patinaed Earrings for AJE Earring Challenge

Gorgeous water of the Florida Keys





I finally built up the courage to patina some brass filigree and I am happy with the results.  Gathering all of the materials was the hardest part.  Deciding which of the gorgeous Ranger Vintaj Patina Kits I would purchase was also a challenge.   I selected "Weathered" because it had the colors of jade, verdigris, and moss and it is designed to give the look of aged copper.  The colors remind me of the gorgeous water of the Florida Keys and I love copper.


If you aren't familiar with patinas that are opaque inks, specially formulated to adhere to metals.   The ink is fast drying and can be heat-set for added durability.

Materials that I used:
Weathered Patina 
Brass Filigreee pairs for earrings
earwires
Ranger 15-Inch-by-18-Inch non stick Craft Sheet
flat tipped paint brush
paper towel
heat tool
water
reliefing block
Vintaj Patina and Glaze Video Tutorial


Below you will see the 3 pairs of earrings that I made by blending the 3 inks.  I achieved 3 different colors.
Aqua Patinaed Earrings available for purchase on BayMoonDesign Etsy store
These romantic aqua earrings have silver earwires. I added more jade patina to raw brass.  The color of the earrings are inspired by the color of the ocean in the Florida Keyes. This color will add some pop to spring and summer fashions. I always think that filigree has a romantic look to it.

Green Patinaed Earrings available for purchase on BayMoonDesign Etsy store

These earrings show a heavier use of the verdigris color.  These boho brass filigree are hand patinaed in the lovely aged green.   I sanded them to bring up the brass.  I have hung them on gold colored ear wires. These earrings are all nickel and lead free. 

Green Earring

For these earrings I used more of the moss color.  These are BoHo brass filigree earrings for those who are looking for long dangles that are unique. They are very light on the ears even though they are long. They are hand patinaed in a lovely aged green. I have hung them on gold colored ear wires. These earrings are all nickel and lead free. The filigree portion of the earrings hangs 2 inches (5.1 cm.) in length.

 You can see how mixing the colors gives different results.   It is fun to experiment.

5 comments:

  1. Loving all the fun patina, so fun to work with. Wonderful earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful earrings!! I'm so glad you worked up the courage to try this patina technique--something I've been wanting to do myself but have yet to make myself do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be afraid of the patinas...it's super fun! And even when something doesn't turn out quite as I'd expected, I've always been able to do something else to it (either with more paint, sanding off, or layering with other pieces) to make my mistakes into something cool! I hope you play some more!

    ReplyDelete