Monday, February 8, 2016

February Art Bead Scene Challenge Features Vogue Cover

Vogue Cover
Simultaneous Dress next to the Simultaneous Car
by Sonia Delaunay
Illustrated by George Lepape from January 1925

The February Art Bead Scene Challenge features the January 1925 Vogue magazine cover "Simultaneous Dress next to the Simultaneous Car" This illustration is an example of style of Cubist painting which used bright color to bring movement, light and musical qualities to  artwork.  

compass component
Component made by Bay Moon Design
I was drawn to the compass in the illustration and made the component from a natural brass compass by Vintaj.  I used white Renaissance wax and a sealant to add white color to the brass.  I then mounted it onto a piece of filigree.  


compass bracelet
Compass Bracelet by Bay Moon Design

Next I pulled out 3 blue ceramic beads by Mary Harding to bring out the blue in the illustration. The 2 ceramic beads  are next to the compass on each side and the last one is used as the clasp. Additional blue is added with a few blue square sodalite beads. To bring in the orange I added 2 different kinds of orange glass beads. I also added white beads to echo the white in the compass. Black Irish waxed linen thread is used to attach all of the pieces. The compass bracelet is available for purchase HERE.

compass bracelet
Compass bracelet by Bay Moon Design

I feel that I captured the brilliant colors of the illustration and one of the subjects--the compass.  What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. I think you did a lovely job! Your compass component is really cool, and the colors of the beads you added in are just perfect. Great interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun bracelet you made! A nice mix of elements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I totally missed the compass in the background after my initial look at the inspiration post. I like how you pulled it out and made it the main focal. Very nice
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really drawn to the compass, too! That is what I thought I was going to do until I wasted a whole day on clay and had nothing to show for it then started hacking into it and found something magical! I am glad that someone else liked that element. Thanks for playing with us! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this and what an inspiration to use that compass it really works so well and the beads are just right !
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete