|The theme of the April Art Elements challenge is the inspiring bee. Artisan Niky Sayers selected the bee for this challenge. The hardworking and industrious bee is an interesting insect. Since bees work together in a vast hive community with a central theme: survival, they are a perfect symbol for the pandemic we are living through. |
Here are a few interesting facts about the bee.
- There are about 20,000 different species of bees in the world.
- Bees see all colors except the color red.
- Beekeepers use smoke to calm bees when they are collecting honey or relocating a hive.
- Bees make honey to feed their young and so they have something to eat during the winter.
- Killer bees have been known to chase people for over a 1/4 mile once they get excited and aggressive.
- Certain species of bees die after stinging because their stingers, which are attached to their abdomen, have little barbs or hooks on them. When this type of bee tries to fly away after stinging something, part of the abdomen is ripped away.