Thursday, June 14, 2018

We're All Ears :: June Inspiration :: Kaleidoscopes



Photo by Frida Aguilar Estrada on Unsplash
Photo by Frida Aguilar Estrada on Unsplash

June's We're All Ears Challenge inspiration is the kaleidoscope. This reminded me of a simpler time in the past when I was a child.  I am talking about back in the day when there was no Internet or television.  I was 5 years old when my family got a black and white television.  There wasn't colored television.  A kaleidoscope was pretty exciting.  Even though this
 handheld device meant you had to manually turn a tube of colored bits of glass to make ever-shifting patterns and colors, it brought lots of enjoyment!  I remember my mother cross stitching a kaleidoscope for my children. The cross stitching was on the outside of course.

I was in a panic over making earrings for this challenge.  I would like to have done something with polymer clay, but I'm not there yet.  I thought of  a pair of earrings that I made awhile back.  They were made of paper.  I went to my go to source of creative materials--Etsy and located kaleidoscope paper images.  There were so many choices I needed to decided on a specific size. I went with 1 inch circles.  I also wanted a variety of  colors. 


kaleidoscope paper circles
kaleidoscope paper circles
I purchased the paper on Etsy and downloaded it and printed 4 sheets on heavy, white card stock. I decided early on that these beads would have pattern on front and back. I also thought about putting them into bezels. If you are considering doing a project similar to this, you might consider using bezels at this point.

I used a one inch circular punch on them. I brushed on some Mod Podge on the non pattern side and put them together. I let them dry thoroughly. This left a little white around the edges which I darkened with permanent ink. I used Mod Podge matte. Here you can decide if you prefer a glossy finish versus matte.
Edges darkened to give richer and vintage look
Edges darkened to give richer and vintage look

I put some permanent ink carefully around the edges of the paper. This is where you apply the Mod Podge with a brush to the paper circles. This has the effect of sealing and protecting the paper. It also was the added effect of deepening the colors and gives the earrings a bit more weight.
Metal punch for tiny holes
Metal punch for tiny holes

I put on 4 coats of Mod Podge on each side and around the edges. The last step is the best-designing the earrings. I had the option of putting in however many holes I wanted anywhere. I used a metal punch because it cuts tiny holes easily through the paper beads.

Blue Kaleidoscope Earrings by BayMoonDesign
Blue Kaleidoscope Earrings by BayMoonDesign
The blue kaleidoscope earrings are perfect as an eco-friendly fashion accessory. These blue and yellow paper earrings are for someone who enjoys repurposed, ooak, or unique earrings. They also are perfect for a first anniversary which is the paper anniversary. Since the blue patterned components are very light weight, this offers lots of design opportunities.
chartreuse earrings by BayMoonDesign

I made these chartreuse earrings by starting with chartreuse and pink kaleidoscope patterned paper. Once again I put some permanent brown ink carefully around the edges of the paper to give an antiqued look. I added chartreuse glass beads and pink lava rock beads. Vintaj ear wires help give the earrings a vintage look.

What do you think of my kaleidoscopes earrings that began with paper ?

Thanks for stopping by and please visit other participants in this challenge and see what they created.


7 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous! I totally love the idea and your execution of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific idea for the Kaleidoscope challenge. They are gorgeous! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so creative and the patterns and colors are really beautiful! Gorgeous earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good idea!!!! They are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you did here and appreciate the mini-tutorial! Your paper kaleidoscope charms are just wonderful and oh-so-perfect for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderfully retro. Perfect for the challenge and great color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! You could decoupage the paper onto wood rounds (sometimes I find them in the wood craft area) or in bezels. I have done this with almost the same paper images with my button maker and then set them in a steel bezel with a magnet on the back that I call Pop-a-Dots. Really fun project and I am so glad you played along with me! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete