Thursday, January 17, 2019

We're All Ears :: January Inspiration :: Color of the Year 2019 Living Coral



Photo of coral reef by James Thornton on Unsplash
Photo by James Thornton on Unsplash

The We're All Ears January challenge is for January 2019 is to use the Pantone Color of the Year 2019 --Living Coral. Living Coral is truly an energizing and vibrant color found in nature. PANTONE Living Coral calls attention to our underwater reef systems. Beneath the sea, this warm and vivid color is spell binding and vibrant. It is namesake of an endangered species in our oceans that we need to fight to protect. The reefs are important because they provide shelter to diverse ecosystems that are crucial. They are too beautiful and important to loose. I love snorkeling in the Florida Keys. My favorite spots are just down the road from where I winter in Key Largo, Florida.  I love to snorkel at the reefs that are part of John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park which is made up of 70 nautical square miles. While many visitors view the park’s colorful coral reefs and teeming marine life on glass-bottom boat tours, you can get a closer look by scuba diving or snorkeling. The water is so clear that when canoeing and kayaking through the park's waters you can see the underwater world too.



photo of author snorkeling
Me snorkeling

Pantone put together 5 color palettes that feature the living coral color. I often use them to help me make decisions on colors for my jewelry. One of the five palettes that I am most drawn to is --Focal Point. I love the combination of earthy colors that are combined here. I used this Focal Point palette to inspire a new pair of earrings.


Pantone Focal Point Colors 2019

I selected red ceramic pairs by Marsha Neal Studio. The vertical lines in them are the color living coral and reminds me of coral. Since these coral lines are surrounded by an even more vibrant shade I used the cooling color of golden lime. For my metal sterling silver seemed a perfect choice. The silver reminds me of the cooling Pantone color storm gray.


Coral Earrings by BayMoonDesign
Coral Earrings by BayMoonDesign
I connected coral color ceramics with stacked Czech Glass lustered avocado spacers with 20 gauge sterling wire and added sterling ear wires. These are bold earrings in this seasons freshest colors. They are available for purchase HERE.
You can see additional earrings in my shop by visiting http://www.etsy.com/shop/BayMoonDesign.


Photo coral reef by Tomoe Steineck on Unsplash
Photo by Tomoe Steineck on Unsplash

Pollution, disease, invasive species, and unaware tourists all cause them harm. Coral reefs control the amount of carbon dioxide in the ocean, making them critical to the food chain.

There are ways that you can help protect coral reefs. Something that everyone can do is conserve water. This is essential because less water consumption means that there is less runoff. Less runoff naturally leads to less wastewater finding its way into the sea and affecting the coral reefs negatively.

As a tourist:
Avoid striking or touching a coral reef.
Don't fish or boat near a coral reef
Don't litter on the beach or in the ocean

Coral reefs provide food and shelter for a variety of marine life. They are also important for people who live near the water and rely on the corals for food. Corals are also used to produce medicine, generate tourist revenue, and serve as a barrier against tropical storms for some communities. All strong reasons, to care for them.


This is a blog hop, so please head on over to Earrings Everyday to check out the earrings that other designers have created.

9 comments:

  1. Your earrings are vibrant and filled with textures, just like a healthy coral reef would be. I love Marsha's discs and how you paired them with the green beads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These capture the l in bing coral perfectly. I appreciate your tips on helping protect this important ecosystem. I wish everyone cared as much.thanks for playing along! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its great that you have snorkelled and seen coral reefs. I wanted to try it a couple of years agao but since I can't swim I was scared to even go for a lesson. WRT the challenge I think that you have picked a beautiful textured component that is just right for the challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Divya! I enjoy swimming as a regular exercise. I swim a mile most days so snorkeling for me is relaxing and enjoyable. If you don't know how to swim, it could be very scary and possibly dangerous. An aquarium would be your best bet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun earrings! and great advice about a coral reef .... it is so important to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great addition of the lime to offset the strong colors of the components! I like how texture-filled the earrings are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, these earrings are so vibrant and fun, totally reminding me of the beach and summertime! Thank you for the reminders about respecting coral reefs, we all need to work together to take care of where we live and respect all living things!

    ReplyDelete