Sunday, June 30, 2019

June Art Elements Challenge --Selkies

photo of Selkie by Jeremy Bishop on Unsplash
Photo by Jeremy Bishop on Unsplash
The theme of the June Art Elements Challenge is Selkies.  Selkies are not mermaids. In Scottish mythology, Selkies or Selkie folk  mean "Seal Folk".  They are mythological beings capable of changing from seal to human form by shedding their skin. They are found in folktales and mythology originating from Orkney and Shetland.  


Photo of Seal by Jeremy Bishop on Unsplash
Photo by Jeremy Bishop on Unsplash

In Orkney lore, selkie is said to denote various seals of greater size than the grey seal; only these large seals are credited with the ability to shapeshift into humans, and are called "selkie folk".   The type of large seals that might have been seen on the islands include the Greenland seal and the crested seal.   Something similar is stated in Shetland tradition, that the mermen and mermaids prefer to assume the shape of larger seals, referred to as "Haaf-fish".  The legends of the selkies are found in Ireland, Scotland and Wales; coastal tales as selkies are from the sea. return to the sea.

Photo Selkie by Joanna Nix on Unsplash
Photo by Joanna Nix on Unsplash
Having Scottish roots and having red hair and having a ceramic pendant made by Jenny Davies-Reazor who is the originator of this challenge,  I was eager to use the Reazor pendant for this. 

Selkie ceramic by Jenny Davies-Reazor
Selkie ceramic by Jenny Davies-Reazor

I love to make crochet necklaces because I enjoy crocheting and I love the organic look.  Copper wire was selected because it helps to draw attention to the red hair of the selkie on the ceramic.  I crocheted a variety of pearls because they come from the sea just as the selkie.  Glass chips that look like sea glass seemed like a natural fit. Other beads that compliment the copper wire.

Copper Wire Crochet Necklace by BayMoonDesign
Copper Wire Crochet Necklace by BayMoonDesign
I made this statement necklace by stringing beads onto copper wire, crocheting 4 strands and then weaving them together.  Lastly, I  attached the pendant that I put together. 

Mermaid photo by Nsey Benajah on Unsplash
Photo by Nsey Benajah on Unsplash
From seal to woman, from sea to land - join us this month by visiting the blogs as we take inspiration from these transformative creatures of mythology and folklore!  We love to read your comments!
Guests: 
AE team: 

8 comments:

  1. I first learned about Selkies while reading the Outlander series of books. I find them fascinating! Yes, what else could you use for this theme but the focal from Jenny. I like your choice of crocheted copper, and using multiple strands together. Alysen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had the perfect pendant for this challenge! Love what you've done with it, it's perfect for a Selkie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your necklace is a lovely interpretation. Using crochet wire with the pearls and chips gives a perfect organic setting for the pendant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ceramic piece was perfect for this month's theme! I love that you crocheted the chain - and the accent pearls and glass shards is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful necklace! I've never tried crocheting with wire, but you did it expertly and it gives a lovely, light feeling to the pendant. it kind of reminds me of pearls wrapped in seaweed. Lovely piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Cathy - you did a great job with the wire crochet! I know that is such a tedious thing to do and I love that you added beads in there to bring the overall design together. Wonderful work as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for joining us Kathy - and I am sorry I was late to the hop!
    The wire crochet reminds me of sea weed, or tangled fishermen nets - encrusted with shells, coral, etc. So perfect for the theme! I am tickled that my mermaid pendant was part of the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I am so late in commenting. I am just finally able to sit at my computer and catch up with everyone now that it's almost time for the next theme reveal;-)
    This necklace you created with Jenny's ceramic pendant is gorgeous. The wire crochet with your bead choices is the perfect complement to the pendant.

    ReplyDelete