Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Art Jewelry Elements - Art Headpin Challenge

 
https://unsplash.com/@aaronburden


August's Art Jewelry Elements Challenge is a headpin challenge. This is an opportunity to use art headpins. What is an art headpin? It's a headpin that is handcrafted by an artisan, has been manipulated in a manner that is more than just a ball end, and has the potential to be the centerpiece of a creation rather than just playing a supporting roll.
Acorn Headpins by BayMoonDesign


I saw this as an opportunity to use some acorn headpins that I made in a design. I followed the directions in Beautiful Elements by Heather Powers to create some acorn polymer clay headpins. I made a number of these polymer clay acorn headpins. I mixed my own version of the acorn color. I didn't have the Spanish moss that Heather recommended but I had an emerald green color and yellowish green. I added bronze PearlEx that I had on hand for the caps of the acorn.

Wrapped the dark annealed steel wire 
When making the polymer clay into headpins I used dark annealed steel wire. I formed the wire into a circle and added some Czech crystal flowers to them.


They are suspended from handmade sterling silver ear wires that I created. These are striking chartreuse green earrings with a rustic woodland look to them. I decided to sell some of the headpins in my shop as well as the pair of acorn earrings.
https://unsplash.com/@kevinjyoung
I love acorns.  They are pretty works of art by Mother Nature and found on Oak trees.  When I go on hikes, I like to look for acorns and bring them home and sit them on my crafting table for inspiration. 
https://unsplash.com/@joannakosinska
Acorns are also a source of nutrition for wildlife and people. In the popular, television series The Walking Dead, they are used in a cookie recipe.  After all, while out hunting walkers they have the time and opportunity to scavenge acorns. Here is Carol’s official cookie recipe for a batch of Carol’s Beet and Acorn cookies:

ingredients:
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1/2 cup acorn flour
-2 Tablespoons arrowroot powder
-1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/4 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-1/4 cup shortening
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-1/4 white sugar
-1/4 cup beets, pureed
-1/4 cup water chestnuts, pureed
-1/4 cup chocolate chips, melted
-1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prep baking sheets with parchment.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, acorn flour, arrowroot powder, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, stir together the shortening, brown sugar, sugar and beets.
Add the pureed water chestnuts, pureed beets, melted chocolate chips and vanilla. Stir until combined.
When the dough forms, roll into golf-ball sized balls of dough, press flat and place two-inches apart on the prepped cookie sheets.
Bake for 10-12 minutes depending on your oven. Let cool on a wire rack.

Personally, I find some of the ingredients off putting, like the beets and water chestnuts. Would you give these cookies a try? I would rather make jewelry than cookies anyway.  Lot less calories and more fun!


I can't wait to see what everyone else used and created in this challenge. Please stop by and visit the following participants.  We love to hear your comments.

Guests:


AJE Team Members:


27 comments:

  1. I really love the acorn headpins you made...They are sweet and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your acorns and your earrings. I might try the recipe if I'm stuck with my beads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no on the recipe!! but I love your head pins and I love acorns :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the recipe. I wouldn't even want to taste the cookies.

      Delete
  4. I love acorns too and love your Etsy shop, you have so many beautiful pieces!!

    Stay inspired!

    Laura xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment about my Etsy shop. I always need encouragement when it comes to my shop!

      Delete
  5. YOur little acorn headpins are adorable!! love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy your acorns are so perfect! And the earrings you made from them are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love acorns too... yours turned out beautifully! I don't think I'd fancy the cookies though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Acorns and zombies. Theres a combo I did not see coming. I like what you have done with your polymer headpins! Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What sweet little acorns you created. I don't collect whole acorns, but I do have a collection of the caps. Some day I find a way to use them in jewelry. As for the cookies, I'd probably try them, but I'd be hoping you can't taste the beets. I don't like beets. I don't care how good they are for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that collects acorns in various capacities to use as beads one day. I love your interpretation! Thank you for playing along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are super cute headpins you made! I'm so glad you took on the challenge as everything turned out wonderfully. While I've only watched an episode or two of the walking dead, I don't see how they could have access to all those ingredients and time to bake acorn cookies. haha! Thanks for participating and for reading AJE

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are cute little headpins that you made. I'd say you rocked this challenge. As for the cookies I'm allergic to most nuts so it would be a no. Would I try beets in a cookie recipe? Maybe. Water chestnuts? Less likely

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely post! I really enjoyed reading about your creation Kathy and they are really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really cute acorn headpins and earrings. The pearlex adds a beautiful sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that you made your own headpins!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute earrings...I love the simplicity of them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very beautiful acorn headpins and the earrings you made are so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute little headpins turned into sweet earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's great that you made your own headpins, Kathy! I'm glad you did. Those cookies don't really sound too appealing to me either!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll stay away from the walkers and those cookies...blah. However, I like the connection with nature that inspired your earrings and I would wear them!

    ReplyDelete