Saturday, January 4, 2020

Crafter's New Year Resolution --- Be More Eco-Friendly

Garbage Bin Photo by Anna Auza on Unsplash
Garbage Bin Photo by Anna Auza on Unsplash
With the holidays over I looked back on some of my holiday practices and their effect on the environment and I realized I can do better. I think of myself as a someone who values nature.

Seahorse Necklace by BayMoonDesign
Seahorse Necklace by BayMoonDesign
I live by the water and I enjoy swimming, kayaking, snorkeling and paddle boarding. 

My handmade jewelry and cards are inspired by nature. The seahorse necklace and ocean scene on my handmade card are a few examples the influence of the ocean on my creations.

Octopus Card by BayMoonDesign
Octopus Card by BayMoonDesign

I have traveled to many of our national parks and blogged about their beauty. Consequently, I resolve to do a better job next year, with my making and purchase of holiday cards and gift wrappings.
Photo of Glitter by Sharon McCutcheon on Unsplash
Photo by Sharon McCutcheon on Unsplash
I admit that I love glitter. I always have. Glitter made it's way into my home in the way of holiday cards. This year I ended up buying several boxes of cards and I selected several which had a lot of glitter on them. The holiday cards that I made also had glitter on the paper and glitter in the glue. Some of the holiday dos and don'ts lists mention avoiding glitter because it is not recyclable. Most glitters are tiny microplastics that can end up polluting our oceans. I definitely don't want to add to polluting the water. Why did I go for the glitter? I just loved the sparkly look!
Foil Photo by Vinicius Amano on Unsplash
Foil Photo by Vinicius Amano on Unsplash
Did you know that when selecting gift wrap paper, you should think about the fact that laminated, metallic or textured papers are not recyclable? I have a good track record there. I use paper. In fact I sometimes reuse the brown paper used as a packing filler. I smooth it out and stamp it with some color. Kids drawings make perfect wrap especially for relatives. Paper gift bags can be used a rather than the plastic coated ones. I have been know to use old maps and newspaper. When gift wrapping avoid plastic-coated ribbon. I have switched to twine, hemp, and torn pieces of fabric.
I love the look of Washi tape. It can be used instead of clear tape. It is an adhesive made with natural fibers. It is recyclable! I have to confess I was just using washi tape because it is pretty. Now I can help spread the word about it's benefits for the environment.







No comments:

Post a Comment