Saturday, June 11, 2011

Lavender

Bay Moon Design
I love lavender.  I am always on the hunt for beautiful lavender beads. At the Delaware By Hand  artisan  show in Lewes, Delaware,  I met a woman who was looking for a special necklace to match a dress that she bought for a summer wedding. I had 3 lavender necklaces that she liked.  She ruled one out because it had gold in it and she didn't like the gold with her gray hair.  The other two necklaces were different shades of lavender.  Think about it.  There is purple, amethyst, mauve, lilac, plum in addition to light, medium, and dark hues.  She finally decided that the best thing to do would be to bring the dress to my studio to see which necklace would work the best with it.  In the course of our conversation, she mentioned that lavender use to be considered an old ladies color.  I had never heard of that before.  I don't like the idea of being an old lady, but I know deep down inside that I am either there or approaching being an old lady.  I had to look this up and sure enough it is true that there is a history of associating lavender with old ladies.  I discovered that not only has lavender lost both its age and gender specific connotations.  That makes me feel better about me love of the color, smell, and beauty of lavender.
Lavender
If you yearn to wander through blooming rows of purple lavender, a trip to Lavender Fields Farm is all you need.   You can experience all the flavors, fragrances and healing qualities of this amazing purple flower. This farm is the only lavender farm in Delaware and is a wonderful place to visit while you vacation on the eastern shore. It is located one-half mile south of U. S. 9 between Lewes and Georgetown at 18864 Cool Springs Road.  Last year when I visited it,  I came home with a lavender plant that is now in bloom in my garden.  The perfect time to visit is July because it is the peak of the bloom season and the fragrance of lavender hangs heavy in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment