Sunday, May 29, 2011

Remember the Purpose of Memorial Day Weekend and Enjoy Your Family Outing

 I was touched by a news report that I saw about a group of high school students that placed American flags on the gravestones of all of the veterans in their town who served in wars.  These students were members of the Bowling Green High School JROTC who walked  through the veterans’ section at Fairview Cemetery, Bowling Green, North Carolina,  remembering all  those who served.  One of the students said, "It’s a very, very important thing to do,”  “All of these soldiers served our country. It’s the least we can do.”

This reminded me of the Saturday morning I got up at the crack of dawn to go to the Delaware State Meeting of the Daughter's of the American Revolution which was held in Dover about an hour from where I live in Lewes. When I walked into the building there were 3 high school students and a Sergent from Cape Henlopen High School JROTC in Lewes, Delaware.  I had seen them at our Fall meeting also.  I was struck by the fact that they all got out of bed early and gave up several hours of their Saturday to present the colors at our meeting. 
http://www.etsy.com/people/BayMoonDesign/treasury?sort=creation_date&order=desc
Friday before leaving school I asked a few of the students what they were doing over the Memorial Day weekend and they told me they were playing in the Cape Henlopen High School band at various Memorial Day events.  That reminded me of the times that my own children did the same and I was  proud of them for doing that.  Often we bad mouth this younger generation and I am guilty of that too, but it is times like this that I am reminded of the good that they do.
 Memorial Day Weekend is important to artisans in Delaware because we hold our Annual Delaware by Hand Member's Day show in Lewes, Delaware on this weekend.   The weather was great and the crowds came out.  You can't ask for anything better.  There were potters, painters, metal workers, jewelry makers, etc.  It was nice to see some young folks there like Leah Van Rees.  She is an artists that I watch grow up in Lewes.   Wes Stack was there with his pottery.  Before devoting his time to pottery, he was an administrator in the Cape Henlopen School District and my daughter's principal.  I was there with my jewelry. Once again my children's line of necklaces was a strong seller.   I watched the crowd which was made up of people I knew and people that were clearly visiting Lewes for Memorial Day weekend.  I thought of how lucky I am to live in such a beautiful small town by the ocean and know so many of these talented and giving people--both young and old. 



No comments:

Post a Comment