Wednesday, April 13, 2016

April's Art Bead Challenge

"Jacob’s Ladder", 1957
by Helen Frankenthaler             

Helen Frankenthaler (December 12, 1928 – December 27, 2011) was an American abstract expressionist painter. Her painting "Jacob's Ladder" is the inspiration for April's Art Bead Challenge. The delicately colored painting has terracotta, orchid, greens, and natural hues.
leaf ceramic by Mary Harding
ceramic by Mary Harding


I used the terracotta and green ceramic by Mary Harding as the center of my bracelet.  I also went into my stash and selected a cream colored round lampwork bead by Marcy Lamberson to sit in a spot of honor--next to Mary's pretty green leaf.



Leaf bracelet by Bay Moon Design
Leaf bracelet by BayMoonDesign

I found Irish waxed linen thread in the same terracotta color. The thread adds contrast against the ceramic and faceted picture jasper beads in natural colors. Brass chain and clasp worked with the natural colors.

I love jasper and use it frequently.  Crystals and their meanings and properties are very popular at the moment.  This is the first time that I have used picture jasper so I was curious about its properties of healing.  Picture Jasper is a stone of proportion and harmony and stimulates creative visualization. It  brings comfort and alleviates fear. Picture Jasper stimulates the immune system and helps treat disorders of the skin and kidneys.  These qualities make it useful in crystal healing as an emotional/psychological healing stone.  I really like the colors and textures in the picture jasper that I bought.  I am happy that I ran across it--a luck find.
I love Mary Harding's earthy ceramics and I am glad that I finally finished this leaf bracelet and I feel that I did her ceramic justice.  What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful bracelet! And it represents the color scheme perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you did her ceramic justice!! Love the brass chain as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary's piece was perfect for this challenge. I like how the stones have some of the same abstract line quality to them. And oh, the terra cotta linen pulls everything together and gives a great pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bracelet! The art beads you used are so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly a stunner! Mary makes beautiful components, and you made a really pretty bracelet! Nice work

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like! The linen is perfect - it draws the eye around the bracelet so you see it all.
    Leona

    ReplyDelete