Sunday, June 19, 2016

ABS June Monthly Challenge

"Literary Poster for the Century Magazine", 1896 by John Louis Rhead
and color palette

This month's amazing inspiration is June's "Literary Poster for Century Magazine" by John Louis Rhead.  This is a vintage poster from 1896 with an Art Nouveau feel. The rendering is in blue, yellow, orange, red and violet with image of a lady encapsulated by roses reading a book. 

In my design I emulated the curve linear designs and flowers. I mixed yellows, orange, browns, and blues.  I mixed textures of smooth enamel, chain, Irish waxed linen thread, bent wire.
Yellow Enamel Flowers from Melismatic Art Jewelry


My bright yellow floral bracelet started with one of the yellow enamel flowers by Melissa Merman of Melismatic Art Jewelry. It took a lot of thinking and experimenting to figure out how to attach it to a Vintaj floral component with an art nouveau look. I found a tiny button that is the perfect color and attached it to the frame of the component with orange Irish waxed linen thread. Another problem that I had to overcome was the choice of colors. I wanted to work in the blue, but I didn't want to use too much. Yellow is a problem for me also. I don't use it often and I don't have a large collection of beads in that color. I finally found what I thought would be the perfect mix of colors.

Bright Yellow Floral Bracelet by Bay Moon Design

I had some yellow and orange ceramic beads from OkawaHandmadeAfrican Beads and yellow Czech beads in my stash and I put them to use in this bracelet. I added some Vintaj natural brass chain to compliment the natural brass filigree flower.  The bracelet is available for purchase HERE.

11 comments:

  1. You really did find the perfect combination of colors. I love your layered flower focal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy this is a great interpretation of the poster. I love the button in the center of the flower, an unexpected and charming choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather-Thank you so much! I appreciate your comments. This bracelet was a true challenge for me! I am glad I stuck with it.

      Delete
  3. I just love this bracelet even though I usually run screaming from yellow. It bring to mind warmer weather, playing at the waterfront as well at all the spring flowers I so love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I stay away from yellow too. I guess it is too bright for me, but I think I need to lighten my creations. I tend to use tranquil colors.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful bracelet! the beads are so pretty and I just love the Enamel Flower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You nailed that one. It's happy and sophisticated all in one. I don't wear bracelets much but this one really turns me on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous bracelet, Kathy! And such a smart and fun way to connect the enameled flower to the filigree piece! I think that yellow is a challenging color for many of us to design with(and often to wear!) but you did an amazing job. I just love the subtle blue touches you added to the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WoW that is a super idea to use the button like that! My favorite beads you used are the yellow and orange ceramic, they fit the theme perfectly! Nice Work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your design was one of my favorites this month. Your color choices matched the poster perfectly. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete